Welcome to Tennant Across the Pond

Thanks for coming by--and welcome to Tennant Across the Pond, my online journal which will serve to update friends and family about my upcoming trips to Formby, U.K.

I will be in Formby twice in the next six months, serving with Formby Baptist Church. The dates for the trip are:

March 5-22 and May 16-July 12.

For updates, info, and reflections, read on.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Many Meetings

And so I have arrived. Yesterday at 7 a.m. local time (about 1 a.m. central) I was re-united with Paul and Janice Lister, a lovely couple who really do a lot to help oversee and organize our time here, in the Manchester Airport.

That was the first of many happy moments of greetings, many happy meetings. From the minute I walked into my host family's door they have commenced with spoiling me, and it has been a true joy to be back together with them.

Last night (for many readers, yesterday afternoon) we had a sort of meet and greet at the church, where key families (mostly the host families and a few others) came for tea (a.k.a dinner) and for us to catch up. I discovered two very important factors:

First, potluck dinners in England are at least three times better than those I've had in the states. Curry? Yes please.

Second, that in the family of God, even when we are separated by an ocean and hundreds of miles, it is easy to pick up right where we left off.

It's currently about 5:30 a.m. local time; I woke up about 4 and haven't been able to return to sleep so I have decided to be productive and let everyone know that I am alive and well and very, very happy.

In just a few hours, I'll be preaching my first of two sermons, and I am quite looking forward to another opportunity to open the Word before God's people. Plans for tomorrow include going out for luncheon at a local restaurant to celebrate my host-mum's (Mary's) and host-sister's (Hannah's) birthdays which were just last week.

So, I am safely and happily across the pond, and ready to see what these two weeks have in store. Thanks for you prayers, which have gotten me this far, and I'd ask that you keep them coming.

0 comments:

Post a Comment