Welcome to Tennant Across the Pond

Thanks for coming by--and welcome to Tennant Across the Pond, my online journal which will serve to update friends and family about my upcoming trips to Formby, U.K.

I will be in Formby twice in the next six months, serving with Formby Baptist Church. The dates for the trip are:

March 5-22 and May 16-July 12.

For updates, info, and reflections, read on.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Family. Yes, Even Here.

I've always thought that if the family of God is really the family of God, I should be able to go anywhere, and have family.

Today, I discovered this was, indeed, true.

This summer, I will be completing a required internship for my degree; one of the many requirements for this internship is that I have a mentor to discuss various ministry topics and happenings with.

Through a friend, I was introduced to Stuart, a pastor from Southport, a town only about 20 minutes away from Formby. Stuart was my friend's pastor, with whom she's quite close, so she matched us up and after a series of emails, we planned to meet today.

So there I was, standing in the Southport train station under the M&S sign, where Stuart said he'd meet me. An hour later, I've just shared life with someone who was previously only a few characters on my computer screen.

Stuart and I grabbed a cup of coffee at a shop near the train station; we talked about my experience at Moody, my family, my time here in Formby, about his life and his ministry and his family. He took me for a quick tour of the church he pastors, as well as introduced me to his co-pastor Adam; a huge blessing is that they offered me their libraries over the summer, which saves me a lot of work (and luggage space) from carting books over this summer.

Our time together was quite brief-we were together for just about an hour. It was, however, one of the most encouraging hours I've ever experienced, and I looking forward with great anticipation to this summer.

So, today, I met a brother from across the pond. We talk often of six-degrees of separation; but I am beginning to think that in the Kingdom, there is truly only One, Christ Himself. Without Christ, Stuart and I would never have had an opportunity to meet--which would be truly sad.

So I am thankful for today, for the simple blessing of meeting another one of God's people in another one of God's places. I am thankful for the blessing that even here, across the pond, I have family.

"Let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers..."
---Hebrews 13:1-2a

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful lesson. Tis true. Glad I can count you a part of my family. Can't wait to see you, Tennant.

    ReplyDelete