Welcome to Tennant Across the Pond

Thanks for coming by--and welcome to Tennant Across the Pond, my online journal which will serve to update friends and family about my upcoming trips to Formby, U.K.

I will be in Formby twice in the next six months, serving with Formby Baptist Church. The dates for the trip are:

March 5-22 and May 16-July 12.

For updates, info, and reflections, read on.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Hitting the Ground Running

The new semester began on Monday with a fury; at 8 a.m. I had my first class of the semester, and from there things have kept on rolling. It's good to be back in Chicago among my friends and "family" here, and I think I have a vague notion of what needs to be accomplished over the next three months.

And then, there's England.

We hit the ground running this week: we had a meeting with veteran team members Monday afternoon, and then a meeting with the entire team on Tuesday night. We planned who will be preaching and teaching when, as well as got a good grasp of the schedule we'll have for the two weeks we will be there in March.

And still there is a lot to do--and I'm not talking about school, either. There are sermons to write, lessons to plan, outreaches to organize, people to encourage. It can seem just a little overwhelming (especially when you do add in classes).

But here is the good news. He is going to show up, and he is going to help.

"For surely it is not angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham."
--Hebrews 2:16

If you were present when I preached on this passage, or if you weren't, it's time you knew just how overwhelmingly compelling I find this verse. God is in the business of helping me--he gets a kick out of doing this. He doesn't show up half-hearted; he is not lackadaisical in his assistance to me.

No, he digs this sort of thing (especially when you think about the fact that the Holy Spirit is called "the Helper"). And he is more than willing to help us do what he has called us to do. This is good news.

In fact, this is great news.

It is, after all, the Gospel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment