Welcome to Tennant Across the Pond

Thanks for coming by--and welcome to Tennant Across the Pond, my online journal which will serve to update friends and family about my upcoming trips to Formby, U.K.

I will be in Formby twice in the next six months, serving with Formby Baptist Church. The dates for the trip are:

March 5-22 and May 16-July 12.

For updates, info, and reflections, read on.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

That I Would Hold Them in My Heart

I recently had the great joy to read through the book of Philippians, for the first time in a long while. It may have been one of the most joyful and encouraging times of Bible study I've ever had. Philippians is a letter Paul wrote while under intense suffering, while imprisoned for proclaiming the Gospel. Despite his great adversity, Paul is just dripping with joy and love for the Philippian church.

Here are a few ways Paul describes his love for the Philippians:

"It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart..." (1:7)

"For God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus..." (1:8)

"Therefore, my beloved..." (2:12)

"Therefore, my brothers, whom I love and long for, my joy and my crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved." (4:1)

These verses are quick snapshots that show us Paul's deep love for the Philippian church, love that only a shepherd can have for his flock. This is a kind of love that comes from living for the benefit of others, living for the joy and honor of Christ.

What I would ask is that you would pray that my love and care for the church in Formby would grow to look like this kind of love. Would you pray with me that the Holy Spirit would work in my heart so that I would be filled with this kind of care and compassion for the saints there?




0 comments:

Post a Comment