Welcome to Tennant Across the Pond

Thanks for coming by--and welcome to Tennant Across the Pond, my online journal which will serve to update friends and family about my upcoming trips to Formby, U.K.

I will be in Formby twice in the next six months, serving with Formby Baptist Church. The dates for the trip are:

March 5-22 and May 16-July 12.

For updates, info, and reflections, read on.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Our Partnership in the Gospel

I thank my God in all my remembrance of you,
always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy,
because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now.
Philippians 1:3-5

On May 16, I met Josiah and Lauren in the plaza--a common meeting area on the campus of MBI--where we struck out for Chicago O'Hare International Airport and, ultimately, for Formby. That was nearly eight weeks ago. Then, we were not the closest of friends; we got along quite well, and I knew we would have fun together, but little did I know how important my friendship with each of them would become over the course of my summer.

We have spent very nearly every day together for almost two months, working side-by-side to serve Formby Baptist Church. We've laughed together, prayed together, eaten together, traveled together, and served together for the glory of Jesus, and now our partnership is drawing to a close.

In light of this, I want to take a moment to say how humbled and honored I have been to work side-by-side with my friends and partners--they are both incredibly talented and gifted people and most importantly, they are both passionate about Jesus and the Gospel. Working with Lauren and Josiah has shown me how God makes his manifold grace so obvious as we each use the gifts God has given to minister differently, but with the same goal.

Lauren is a gifted counselor, a fiercely faithful friend, and has an incredible ability to discern what others are feeling and thinking and always knows the right thing to say in any situation. Josiah has incredible confidence, is an unbelievably talented preacher, is not easily swayed by circumstances and has very thick skin. Their qualities and gifting have balanced out my weaknesses and amplified my strengths, and helped me do what I needed to do well.

I can say with complete confidence that, had I not been working with these two, I don't think I would be able to see this summer as a time of effective ministry and treasured spiritual growth. I am incredibly thankful and even proud to have served alongside them, and will always have fond memories of our summer spent together on this side of the pond.

0 comments:

Post a Comment